Wednesday 1 June 2016

May wrap up and June TBR

Hello!

I read a lot more than I expected to last month, and i'm not sure whether to be happy or worried about it... Bear in mind I am in the middle of my GCSE's and everything... woops :/ What I am happy about is that I (kinda) read all of the books I said I would in my last post!



The first book I read was Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. The first few chapters are about a little girl called Jane who's only friend is thirty year old imaginary friend called michael. Further on into the book, Jane is 20 years older and the impossible happens; her and Michael are reunited. I really enjoyed this book, and gave it four out of five stars. The characters were really likeable, and there were some plot twists that completely took me by surprise. If I am going to be honest, I can't really remember much about what I thought about this book, as it was about a month ago that I read it, and you know how bad my memory is XD.





The next book I read was Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. This is a hugely popular book, and I had heard so many amazing things about it, so I was excited to give it a go. At first I was a bit disappointed- I actually found it a bit boring (don't kill me!) Luckily, however, as the story went on, I got more and more engrossed in the story. I had heard so much about the crazy plot twist at the end, but I accidentally spoiled myself when going to the back of the book to see how many pages there were. (Why do I always do this to myself?!) Regardless, I was still quite surprised, as it hadn't given everything away. in the end I gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. It was super fast paced, and there was always something going on. I can't wait to read the next book in this series! :)





My TBR jar challenge for may was to read a random book from my shelf. For this, I ended up getting Out of Sight, Out of Mind, by Marilyn Kaye. If I am going to be totally honest, I don't know why I picked this book up at the charity shop- maybe because it was so cheap? It is the kind of book that I would have read when I was about 10, but now? Not so much. Because of this, I decided to go into this book with the mindset of 10 year old me. I actually found it to not be too bad. In the end I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. It is about Middle-school queen bee, Amanda Beeson, and the day she gets transported into the body of the schools most unpopular girl. The story follows her as she is trying to get back to her normal body, and realising that popularity isn't as important as she originally thought.




The next book wasn't on my TBR for the month, and this is because I didn't realise that it was coming out this month. My brothers and I have always loved David Walliams' books. Every time he brings out a new book, we automatically buy them, and although they are aimed at younger children, I still find them really entertaining and funny. This book is called The World's Worst Children, and it is slightly different to the books he normally writes. It is a book of 10 short stories about bad kids. I have to say, it isn't my favourite of his, and I think this is because the stories were only about 15 pages long each, which means you don't really get into the story properly. Nevertheless, I still found it funny, and so I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.




Now for why I only 'kind of' read all of the books on my TBR. The last book I read in May was The Finisher by David Baldacci. I started this book in May, however I ended up finishing it today, the first of June. Does that count as me reading it in May? I don't know- but I'm still putting it in here anyway :p. This was a reread for me, as I wanted to have a recap of what happened before starting the next book in the series. I remember absolutely adoring this book the first time I read it. It was the same this time round. Although it was a really slow start, it picked up a lot just under halfway, and then I just couldn't put it down! This book is set in a small village called Wormwood, which is surrounded in a huge beast-infested forest called the Quag. One day Vega Jane (The main protagonist) Gets a message from her friend Quentin Herms, who had escaped the town into the Quag. The story follows her as she slowly starts to discover the dark secrets the leaders of the village have been holding from everyone. I gave this book 4.5 stars, and it will definitely be staying on my favourites list!


Because I will be finishing my exams this month, I won't have too much time (still) however, I will finish before the end of the month, and therefore will have a lot of time on my hands, so I hope to be able to read quite a lot. As I am sure I have said before, I haven't read the Harry Potter series before (whaaat!?) But don't worry, I am planning to read it  after my exams, so I can fully appreciate the story without stressing about revision on top of it. Here are the books I want to read:

-Harry Potter and the philosophers stone- by J.K. Rowling
-The Keeper- by David Baldacci
-The Accident Season- by Moira Fowley-Doyle

My TBR challenge for this month is to read a standalone, and so I have decided to read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

My TBR jar book for this month is The Wind Singer by William Nicholson

Hopefully I will be able to read most of these books this month! :)

~ Chey xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment