Saturday 2 April 2016

February and March Wrap Up and April TBR

 Hello!

So, I haven't posted for a while, and this is because right now I am in the middle of some huge exams, and so I am trying to focus on revision. This should all be over by July, in the summer holidays; from then on I hope to post regular blog posts. Obviously, I have been saying this for a while, but this time I am pretty sure this will happen, as I will have finished school, and therefore have a lot more free time.

Anyway, on to what I read.

The first book I finished was the 5th wave, by Rick Yancey. When I finished this book, I remember being a bit on the fence about whether I enjoyed it or not. Now I am pretty sure I did like it, however it was nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. I rated it 4 stars, which is actually quite high, but (As im sure I have said before) I have a terrible memory, and can honestly say, I don't really remember too much about this book. I know, this is sad, but it means I can easily reread books! 

The next book I read was the Martian by Andy Weir. I loved this book! It is definitely not the kind of book that I would usually read, however I had heard so many amazing things about it, that I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did! Mark (The main character) was so funny, despite being stranded on mars, with everything pointing towards his imminent death. All of the 'chapters' were different lengths, which I really liked, and it made it so quick and easy to read. I have to say, I think that this is officially one of my favourite books of all time! 

I also tried to read my TBR jar book for February, which was to read a book with a same initial as me. I chose to read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I think that if I had maybe read this when I was a bit younger, I would have enjoyed it, however, as I was reading it, I just couldn't get into the story. This is weird, because it was a book about books- who wouldn't enjoy this? I ended up DNFing this book, which is extremely rare for me. I doubt I will pick it up again, as I found it quite boring and very slow.

My TBR jar book challenge for march was to read the first book of a currently uncompleted series. For this I chose to read Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. For a debut novel, this was incredible. Again, it was super quick and easy to read, and I couldn't put it down. The one thing I would say about this book, is that it could have probably been twice the length. There was so much left out, for example, a two month chunk was taken out of the book! I feel like there could have been so much more information in this book, that just wasn't included. However, I am still really excited for the next book to come out.

I also read The Messenger of fear by Michael Grant. I have read the first book in Michael Grant's Gone series, and really enjoyed it, however I can't say the same about this book. It was so confusing, and I don't think I really understood what was going on until the book was almost finished. I found myself to be really bored whilst reading this book, and I wanted to just put it down. I have an annoying habit of finishing books that I really am not enjoying, which is what happened with this book. I can honestly say that I will not be reading the next book in the series.

I am subscribed to a youtuber called Alfie Deyes (AKA PointlessBlog) and when I saw he had released his third book, I bought it instantly. I really enjoyed reading The Scrapbook of my Life, as it gave you an insight into his thoughts and feelings as he grew to be as successful as he is now. I read it within 24 hours of buying it XD. (Also, I read it whilst reading another book at the same time... whaat!? That never happens with me!)

The book that I read at the same time as The Scrapbook of my Life, was Angelfall by Susan Ee. I know I am a bit late, but I now completely understand the hype surrounding this book. I was originally a bit hesitant to read this, as I had previously read the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick, which is also about angels. I had liked this series, but it wasn't something I was too interested in reading again. Well, I am so glad I decided to give angelfall a go! I loved that the romance in this book was almost non-existent (which is weird, because I tend to love romances in books) But I really like the fact that you didn't really know whether they were falling for eachother or not. I am currently reading the next book in the series.

Finally, I read Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell. For anyone who doesn't live in the UK, This book was released for 'World Book Day', which is a day in the UK, where authors publish a short (Around 60 pages) book to sell for £1. Most children get given a voucher, which allows them to get these books for free. It was a super quick read, but still just as good as all of Rainbow Rowells other books.

Although this doesn't seem like a lot of books to read in two months to most people, I am so pleased with this, as I have been really busy with exams. :)

Now for my April TBR:

-World after by Susan Ee

-Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

-The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

-All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

-The Finisher by David Baldacci

The TBR jar challenge I got for April is...

To read a random unread book from my shelf.

To do this, i am going to write all of my unread books onto a piece of paper, and (like my TBR jar) randomly choose a piece of paper.

For this TBR challenge, I got The Relic Guild by Edward Cox.

~ Chey xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment